Friday, March 25, 2011

Deadlines

Deadlines
Sometimes it feels like the only way I will get a project completed is if I'm working against a deadline. Otherwise my projects have the tendency to start and become abandoned due to picking up other projects. My stress increases as I notice the piling up of abandoned projects cluttering my studio and I feel I’m not a working artist anymore but rather a procreating artist.

One of my friends gave me a suggestion when I told her about my frustration over incomplete projects and she told me to get into the studio every day even if it means neglecting household chores. As much as I'd like to forget I have dirty dishes crusting up in the sink or the presence of my vacuum needing to get those cobwebs down, I cannot disregard my home. Hiring a cleaning service is not an option either as it's my responsibility to respect my dusty home.

Speaking of responsibility and the idea of this post, deadlines, I need to be accountable for my artistic progress even if it means losing a few hours of sleep. I have access to competition listings/call for entries yet every time I look at them, I freeze resulting in stalling my art down to a halt. With admission of my fear of deadline now out, it is my intention to create a deadline each week and this deadlines must be a completed project of some kind, something tangible, something I can be proud of to say, "Why yes, I did make this!"

I should not be afraid of deadlines as I need to embrace them for the creative productivity will be the result. Instead of working against a deadline, I need to work with it and I know I will be a happier artist (still stressed but happy to be productive).



Winter Carnival

No comments:

Post a Comment