Friday, April 15, 2011

Changes

Whenever I heard the word “changes,” the mental jukebox turns on and David Bowie begins to sing:
Strange fascination, fascinating me
Changes are taking the pace I'm going through
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes


Changes are rampant in my world and seem to trip me up when I’m unable to adapt. But what’s worse is when I know change is coming and I completely forget to prepare. Yesterday I received an e-mail from the Textile Center advertising their world’s largest textile garage sale and they only accept donations yesterday and today. Well, I knew it was in April yet I completely forgot and spent yesterday evening fast and furiously going through my fabric stash and marking them for sale. Now that I make my own fabrics, I don’t use mass manufactured textiles anymore.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

It’s good to have change and I now have access to the storage area where my fabric was collecting dust and I get a tax deduction at the same time. I began collecting mass manufactured fabric with good intention on making quilts but I couldn’t make them because I was artistically blocked for some reason and I now know why: my heart and soul didn’t like the fabric I had in my collection. My apologies to the designers but I felt the fabric had no life to them in my hands. I certainly hope the fabric finds its way to a loving home and into a wonderful art project or quilt.

I, on the other hand, will be making an art quilt this summer with my fabrics. I just hope I correctly washed out the excess dyes or it will be an interesting quilt indeed and of course I’ll say I planned the blending of dyes to happen!


Winter Snow Dye 2010-11

No comments:

Post a Comment