Friday, May 20, 2011

Creating

I had a photography instructor who corrected the workshop into rethinking what we do when we click that button on the camera. It’s common language to say you’re “taking” a picture but in the artistic world, Doug Beasley introduced an idea to “create” a picture instead. Now it took me a while to understand this new photography terminology but I used it today for the first time and it not only sounded good (try it, “I created a picture today” or “Can I create your picture”) but it was good to my art soul.

A simple walk to work turned into a moment where I stopped and saw beauty and decided to create a picture. It only took a moment out of my daily auto pilot walk from my car to my office building, a moment that slipped me out of the weekday dull routine, a moment to take time out and create something. And it made my day all the better knowing I used my creativity today,
University Armory Mushrooms

“Taking” a picture conjures up thoughts of stealing, impolite and rude behaviors, and even possession of the objects in the viewfinder. But when a photographer “creates” a picture, the artist brings something new into this world for others to enjoy. So let the “creating” begin and let it be inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment