Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Creative Life


The path to a creative life isn’t as easy or seamless as one might think. Okay, there was a moment where I thought if I could just win the lottery, inspiration came at a snap of a finger, and everyone loved my work then all would be great but that daydream could be filed away under “Never Going to Happen”. Responsibilities such as earning a bill-paying paycheck and keeping an orderly house as well as necessities like sleeping and exercising, which are not optional as my insomnia and body aches might like to disagree, tend to interfere at the most crucial creative times.
Untitled
Who will help me bag up all these leaves?

When the moment of creative inspiration hits and I’m not fortunate to be in my home studio, I am grateful to have my artist journal in my possession. Yes, this might weigh down my purse and gradually move my spine out of alignment, but I’ll deal with that every time I stretch after my exercising. This is a needed item in my possession just like my wallet and when I’m without it, it feels as if I’m missing a part of me.
Untitled
No small purses for me.

When I’m working in my journal, the world around me disappears and nothing exists except what is brewing in my mind and how I’m going to interpret it first into a drawing concept and then to an actual tangible object. I love my journals not just because of all my thoughts, inspirations, and ideas captured but mainly because I made the journals.
Untitled
Just a few more pages and this one will be full.

My first concentration was bookmaking and while I honed my skills with binding and book design I also began to quilt. Eventually these two adventures combined and then diverted but being a “surface designer” is something I can be proud of in both arenas. I then developed a particular need for the kind of papers I desired in my journals. I needed graph paper along with my blank pages. I thought long and hard, oh say about 1 minute, whether to include lined paper sheets for writing and decided a blank page gave me more freedom of my ramblings and I’ve never looked back.
Untitled
There’s a vibe of exciting possibility on every page.

So this creative life of mine isn’t well defined, presented on a silver platter with collegiate degrees, or a cookie cutter resembling anyone else I know. It is as unique as I am and I plan to utilize this to the best of my ability.
Untitled
The path of possibilities can be a fun one.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post Megan. I can relate! My creative life has followed a twisting path with many diversions, and various creative forms have merged to create my own unique style and story. I think this is the gift of being an artist isn't it? I carry my creative journals or as I call them, my idea books, everywhere with me too. No matter the occasion, even if I only have a tiny sequined clutch I manage to fit one of my tiny idea books and a pen in! Very enjoyable to read your blog. I will be back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger, Red Pear! I always have a pen and pencil on hand in every purse no matter the size too. Inspiration rarely happens while in the studio.

      Delete